Follow @Terrierblogs on Twitter

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Bad defending, but the run continues....

Well after a lack of internet and a stay in the emerald Isle we’re back with this week’s ‘Terrier blog’. A lot has happened since the last blog, the first of which was the Northampton game in the JPT.
One can imagine how foolish I must have felt with 15 minutes or so remaining on the clock and Northampton getting closer and closer to a goal. However all was saved by the hero of the day Lee Novak, whom fired in after fantastic work from Woods and Roberts. So we won the game and my blushes were spared. However it was not an easy game and it was certainly not easy watching. I, as I suspect along with many other Town fans was slightly perturbed at the amount of times that a league 2 side seemed to get at us, and cause us problems.
But as is said seemingly over and over again by ‘qualified’ pundits across the country, ‘a wins a win’, and that’s exactly what we got.
Now onto the game against Oldham, which genuinely worried me on Friday, and worried me even more when Shefki Kuqi dived into the air and plummeted like a stunned Rhino? Thankfully, the comeback was swift and effective, Anthony Kay connecting with a corner (oh the memories) and steering the ball into the Latics goal. ‘Build on this’ I thought, and so it seemed we would as the Oldham goal came under serious pressure from Town. Unfortunately it was a case of ‘same old story’ for Town this season, they were unable to capitalize on their dominance of a game, and were let down AGAIN by defensive frailties. A thought echoed by stand-in captain Anthony Kay.
"The defending wasn't good enough for the first goal and we are all aware of that - we need to go onto the training ground and improve on certain areas."
This would seem glaringly obvious to all involved with Town, and we must hope that the players and staff act it. Now I know we haven’t just travelled to our nearest rivals and shipped 8 goals, but the constant bemoaning of the defending from players and staff reminds me somewhat of the Gunners. Short of bringing in a 6 foot 6 German international, I do not see how we can immediately rectify our defensive problems. However I have more confidence in Lee Clark to sort out our defence than I do in Arsene Wenger to sort out the gunners problems.
In contrast to some fans though, I am not worried about our team, and I think that we will be successful this season. Why? I hear you call in shock and disbelief. Because Mr Clark seems to have a knack of ‘gelling’ players slowly, and I think that once this team has ‘gelled’, then we will go on a similar, if not better run than last season... Fingers crossed!

Anyway the weekend brings the visit of surprise outfit Tranmere Rovers, which will undoubtedly be a difficult game, as I can envisage them coming to park the bus, or even some sort of plane. But if we can break them down, and I think we will, then I suspect we will take all 3 points, and things will once again be rosy in West Yorkshire. Until next week, take care and enjoy the Tranmere game.

No comments:

Post a Comment